Game viewing safaris - Game Drives
An open vehicle safari at Entabeni Safari Conservancy is an exhilarating experience for nature and wildlife lovers. Open 4x4 vehicles ensure close encounters with the Big Five and numerous wildlife species. Qualified and knowledgeable game rangers will take visitors on an educational journey of breathtaking scenery, diverse vegetation and prolific bird- and wildlife.
Children under six years of age will not be permitted on game drives due to the risk to themselves and other guests. Where possible, depending on the number of children in-house and the availability of additional vehicles, special game drives for children can be arrange at Entabeni Safari Conservancy.
What to bring
Light jackets for the summer months and morning drives. Warmer jackets are recommended for evening drives and the winter months. Mosquito repellent, Hat, Sun screen, Binoculars, camera & comfortable walking shoes are also advisable. Blankets, raincoats & hot water bottles are provided on the vehicles.
Two Game Drives daily, a Morning Game Drive (06:30) with a stop for morning tea/coffee & rusk’s and an Afternoon Game Drive (16:00) with a sundowner stop where drinks and snacks are served.
Game viewing safaris - Bush Walks
Armed & experienced rangers accompany guests on the bush walk. This bush experience is educational & offers close encounters with members of the Big Five, & is therefore both rewarding & exhilarating for the more adventurous guests. The emphasis on any bush walk is to understand the bush & its various eco-systems. Medicinal properties of flora of the African Bush will be explained in detail. The sensations of touching, smelling, seeing & hearing the bush will be something to remember. Bush walks are not available at Royal Legend Safari Lodge & Spa.
Children under 12 years of age are not allowed to participate in the game walks offered at Entabeni Safari Concervancy and Jackalberry Lodge.
Programme times to be discussed and confirmed with your ranger.
Balloon Safaris at Entabeni
Balloon safaris at Entabeni Private Game Reserve
Brought to you by: "Bill Harrop's Original Balloon Safris"
Entabeni Safari Conservancy is now included as one of the "Select Ballooning Lodge". We now offer you the opportunity to view the magnificent panoramas of our ancient land and enjoy this rare and special privilege of observing the flora and fauna the World Heritage “Waterberg Biosphere” from the slowly drifting vantage of your hot air balloon…
Bill Harrop´s "Original" Balloon Safaris has been operating as a legally licensed balloon Air Transport Service since 1981. It is a family business run by Bill Harrop, his wife Mary, son Sam and daughter Sarah working in partnership with over 40 full time, part time, contract and casual staff.
Only qualified and experienced professional pilots are employed, and over five-thousand very happy passengers a year are testimony to our professional attitude in entertaining you to one of the most memorably enjoyable experiences of your life. They run a fleet of six large hot air balloons which can carry between six and eighteen passengers each. So whether it is a romantic balloon flight for 2, or a party for 18 adventurers in one of the biggest balloons in the world, or a corporate adventure for 142, Bill Harrop´s "Original" Balloon Safaris is the preferred choice for safe, reliable, quality ballooning.
Balloon Safari Schedule:
- The Balloon Crew, consisting of the pilot and 3 crew, will arrive at the reserve the evening prior to the flight, meet the passengers, answer questions and brief them, for the following morning’s balloon safari.
- On the morning of the flight, the Balloon Crew will set off just before sunrise to establish the optimum launch site. The passengers will follow half an hour later with their Ranger who will have been advised of the chosen launch site by radio.
- The Balloon flight will last about forty five minutes, starting in the reserve to fly over the game, but may land outside the reserve, depending on the flight direction and meteorological conditions.
- Traditionally, champagne will be served either “in flight” or on landing, and “Certificates for Bravery” will be awarded with due ceremony.
- After landing the passengers will re-join their ranger to drive through the reserve for breakfast in the bush or at the Lodge.
- N.B. Flights will be conducted at the sole discretion of the pilot with regard to safety.
Important requirements to remember
We need to know:
- FULL NAME and WEIGHT of each passenger
- If it is a GROUP BOOKING: the GROUP LEADER'S NAME, CONTACT NUMBERS, and Flight Allocation List.
- If there are any DIETARY REQUIREMENTS (i.e. vegetarian, non alcohol etc.)
- Should be warm enough for the chilly early morning but it should be "peelable" because, the sun, excitement and probably the champagne will soon warm you.
- "Country Shoes" are also recommended and Hat (if you’re a bit “thin on top”)
- Your camera, video camera, binoculars and spare film, or batteries.
- Physical Fitness
- Participants should be nimble enough to climb in and out of the basket,
- Be able to stand for the duration of the flight and be able to jump unassisted from a height of 60cm.
- Ballooning is suitable for adventurers from 7 - 70 (although our oldest passenger to date was 90 years old!)
In conjunction with our General Terms and Conditions:
- If the tour is cancelled by the passenger or agent, the deposit is forfeited. If the flight is cancelled because of bad weather, the flight is either re-booked or the deposit returned.
- Should any element of the package be postponed or cancelled, this will not affect the commitment of any party in the agreement to the supplying and charging for, or receiving and paying for, the other elements of the package on the original dates unless otherwise agreed in writing.
- A minimum of 4 guests is required to justify a Flight Departure but these could be from 4 individual sources.
- Each balloon can be programmed to make one flight per day, at sunrise. If the flight is cancelled by us, for safety reasons, we will endeavour to fly in the late afternoon if conditions permit.
- As there is less chance of flying in the late afternoon / early evening due to instability in the air at that time, it is not recommended to pre-programme for evening flights when booking.
- We can endeavour to “consolidate” flights, if requested, where there are less than 4 guests requesting to fly, but such flights can only be confirmed “Subject To Others” and the relevant deposit must be pre-paid or acceptably guaranteed.
- Full refunds will be made for flights cancelled by ourselves for safety reasons, and refunds for flights shorter than forty five minutes will be calculated according to our published scale. (Which is available on request.)
- We suggest that you endeavour to program flights Mondays to Fridays as Saturday and Sunday flights are often very heavily booked.
- All flights will be conducted within the relevant Terms and Conditions as published by Bill Harrop's "Original" Balloon Safaris and Entabeni Safari Conservancy.
Horse Riding Adventures
Experience nature in a different way – on horse back! Horse riding is available from the Stables, next to the Legend Golf & Safari Resort, situated within the Entabeni Safari Conservancy. Horse Riding South Africa (PTY) Ltd caters for beginners, intermediate and advanced riders. 60 and 90 minute rides are available as well as private lessons. A maximum group of 8 riders can enjoy the experience at any one time.
Routes are done throughout the wildlife bush area of the Conservancy and riders can enjoy views of the mountain range, various antelope such as blesbok, impala, sable and kudu and non-predator game including zebra, blue wildebeest, warthogs and giraffes.
What you will need
Riding hats are provided, but riders are asked to wear long trousers and closed shoes, preferably a type of boot.
What are the restrictions?
- No children under 14 years or adults over 80 years. Weight restriction is 95kg.
What are the costs?
- R280pp 60min
- R350pp 90min
Where can you book?
- Pre-bookings essential and can be done via our Central Reservations Office on +27 (0) 11 729 6700